[gst-devel] Simple example of a video filter

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Tue Feb 1 21:37:11 CET 2011

I've been looking through the sources for a simple element that I can
use as a basis for a filter that I want to write.
I don't have much experience in video streams, so I'm intimidated at all
of the plumbing needed to implement a lot of the functions of a normal
element.  Functions like seeking, resetting, etc.  I've looked at the
Pango text overlay, and the Theora encoder, as well as a few others.
When I get into the video chains and such, I get lost in the amount of
detail.

I have also created a new node with the boilerplate, and compiled it,
and verified that it runs in the pipeline, but then am lost in finding a
good example on how to get from there to modification of the video stream.

I would like to start simple.  Not so simple from boilerplate, and not
so complicated as the two I mentioned above.  I figure a good start
would be to modify a video stream.  For an I420 stream, I want to
increment each pixel of the Y plane.  Once I get to that point, I know I
can get the rest of the filter implemented.

Is there any documentation, or simple app notes closer to what I am
looking for?