[gst-devel] v4l2 device wrongly captured

David Schleef ds at entropywave.com
Fri Feb 11 21:26:39 CET 2011

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 09:26:26AM -0600, Clark, Rob wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 9:42 AM, Stefan Kost <ensonic at hora-obscura.de> wrote:
> >    Commit 6c8268dbfd5c88fac28c882ef2e4598a6522e2d6 broke recording
> >    from interlaced v4l2 source (e.g. typical tv capture card) since
> >    V4L2_FIELD_SEQ_TB (with fields stored separately) does not map
> >    to currently defined interlaced format (fields stored interleaved).
> >
> >    Besides this mismatch, hardware might quite likely not support or
> >    appreciate this field value, since querying supported formats mapped
> >    _INTERLACED field formats to interlaced=true caps (so the latter should
> >    not be mapped to field value that is not known to be supported).
>

> Any recommendations on how to handle hw where interlaced actually is
> V4L2_FIELD_SEQ_TB?  The interlaced={true,false} isn't really
> sufficient..

At the time that interlaced was specified, no drivers implemented
V4L2_FIELD_SEQ_TB without also implementing V4L2_FIELD_INTERLACED.
And we were already talking about structured buffers in 0.11 by
that time, so we went the simple route ("fixed what was immediately
broken") rather than try to solve everything.

I don't know of a way to handle this without adding a lot more
complexity to buffer flags (also, which we are out of) and also
fixing lots of elements.  But we'll get to it in 0.11.

David