Multiple GStreamer elements in a window

Kenny Meyer knny.myer at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 03:27:53 PST 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 5:58 AM, Olivier Aubert
<olivier.aubert at liris.cnrs.fr> wrote:
> Hello
>
> Instead of "compositing" the videos through gtk, you could composite
> them directly in gstreamer with the videomixer element.
> This site
> http://www.oz9aec.net/index.php/gstreamer/347-more-gstreamer-tips-picture-in-picture-compositing
> has great information and examples.
>
> Regards,
> Olivier
>
> On Tue, 2011-02-15 at 21:30 -0300, Kenny Meyer wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am writing an application to view multiple network cameras (webcams
>> over the Internet) on a wall in Python using the GTK+ toolkit, but I
>> need to gather ideas about how to do that.
>>
>> I have 4 years experience with Python, but I just started to learn to
>> use GStreamer recently.
>>
>> Basically, I have a GTK+ window, and I would like to display the camera
>> outputs in a grid (GTK H/VBoxes). I wrote code where each camera cell
>> would be a gtk.DrawingArea, but I cannot stop/play/pause the cameras on
>> demand.
>>
>> I wonder if there would be a better approach?
>>
>> Could you please point me to existing code samples, documentation, etc;
>> or give me further references to educational resources?
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Kenny

Thanks Olivier! I thought about a single element (videomixer), but it
should be possible to trigger events for each "video" like
pause/play/stop. Can you do that with a single videomixer element?
It still seems a little obscure to me if you don't have separate elements.