how to "stream a video" on a Linux PC?

Tom fb8fb8 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 19:17:36 PST 2011

Hi dear friends,

I just started learning gstreamer this morning and I found it might be
feasible for me to do my project:

I want to stream a video on a Linux PC. This means there is a (mpeg) video
file on this Linux PC, and This LINUX PC is a streaming server.
Another LINUX PC is used to receive the video stream by some media player
such as VLC player.
Is this possible to install gstreamer to achieve my goal above?

If the answer is yes, then can I change the properties of this video
streaming?
For example, the rate of I-frame, B-frame, P-frame, etc.

Thanks!

Tom