Synchronize an RTP streaming with an timestamp signal

Marco Ballesio gibrovacco at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 07:18:23 PST 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 12:37 PM, Mauro Brenna <malloblenne at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am developing an application to stream video, on GNU/Linux,  and I
> have constraints about timing precision. I would like to associate the
> RTP or RTCP timestamp with a precise timestamp I can generate with
> dedicated hardware, and I would like to know if it is possible using
> some option of rtpbin when issuing gst-launch.
> Alternatively, I can modify the source code of rtpbin.

from what I understand, what you need is already there: see the
"use-pipeline-clock" and "ntp-sync" properties of GstRtpBin. They will
enable you to properly synchronize the streams bw sender and receiver.
In order to use you own clock for the sending pipeline, even though
I've never tried it before it should be fairly easy to implement
GstClock and pass an instance of that class to the pipeline through
gst_pipeline_use_clock.

Regards