[st-ericsson] v4l2 vs omx for camera

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 05:38:50 PST 2011

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 3:27 PM, Laurent Pinchart
<laurent.pinchart at ideasonboard.com> wrote:
>> > Perhaps GStreamer experts would like to comment on the future plans ahead
>> > for zero copying/IPC and low power HW use cases? Could Gstreamer adapt
>> > some ideas from OMX IL making OMX IL obsolete?
>>
>> perhaps OMX should adapt some of the ideas from GStreamer ;-)
>
> I'd very much like to see GStreamer (or something else, maybe lower level, but
> community-maintainted) replace OMX.

Yes, it would be great to have something that wraps all the hardware
acceleration and could have support for software codecs too, all in a
standard interface. It would also be great if this interface would be
used in the upper layers like GStreamer, VLC, etc. Kind of what OMX
was supposed to be, but open [1].

Oh wait, I'm describing FFmpeg :) (supports vl42, VA-API, VDPAU,
DirectX, and soon OMAP3 DSP)

Cheers.

[1] http://freedesktop.org/wiki/GstOpenMAX?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=gst-openmax.png

--