Audio and Video Timestamp or Offset Problems

William Metcalf wmetcalf at niftytv.com
Tue Jul 19 11:50:58 PDT 2011

Hello all,

I am reading in Raw Audio and Raw Video from capture cards, and then
rendering them directly to my computer.  I am able to do this fine, but
the resulting video is ahead of the audio.  My initial thought was to
start the Audio pipeline, and then wait 2 seconds and start the video
pipeline.  When I executed this code the audio began playing sooner than
the video as it should, but then the video just played faster until it
was ahead of the audio again.  I then tried pausing 5 seconds before I
started the video pipeline just to see what would happen, and that time
the video did the same thing.  Because the video always plays ahead of
the audio at the same rate, I am now thinking this problem is a
timestamp or offset issue of some sort.  Is there any way to adjust the
Video/Audio offset, or is there a better way to delay the video so that
it will not speed up and pass the audio?

Here are my pipelines:
video - appsrc max-bytes = 0 is-live=true typefind=true !
"video/x-raw-yuv,format=UYVY,width=720,height=486,framerate=30/1" !
autovideosink
audio - appsrc max-bytes=0 is-live=true typefind=true ! audioparse !
autoaudiosink

Thank you for any help you can offer,
William