Using an SDP file to Play an RTP Stream with VLC

William Metcalf wmetcalf at niftytv.com
Mon Jul 25 11:42:07 PDT 2011

Hello everyone,

I am trying to use an SDP file to play a stream with VLC.  I am in
Windows.  Below is the pipeline I am using to stream the file:

gst-launch -v gstrtpbin name=rtpbin videotestsrc is-live=1 !
"video/x-raw-yuv,width=720,height=486,framerate=30/1" ! ffenc_mpeg4 !
rtpmp4vpay ! rtpbin.send_rtp_sink_2 rtpbin.send_rtp_src_2 ! udpsink
port=5000 host=127.0.0.1 name=vrtpsink rtpbin.send_rtcp_src_2 ! udpsink
port=5001 host=127.0.0.1 sync=false async=false name=vrtcpsink udpsrc
port=5005 name=vrtpsrc ! rtpbin.recv_rtcp_sink_2

When I run this pipeline the caps are printed out and everything appears
to be running correctly.  I would now like to try and play this stream
using an SDP file.  Below is a copy of my file:

v=0
o=- 1223457093460663 1 IN IP4 127.0.0.1
s=RTSP Server
i=Codec00
t=0 0
a=tool:GStreamer
a=type roadcast
m=video 5000 RTP/AVP 96
c=IN IP4 127.0.0.1
a=rtpmap:96 MP4V-ES/90000

When I drag this file into VLC, nothing happens.  For a while I was
getting an error that the format of the file could not be determined.
Now I just drag the file to VLC and then nothing happens.  Is there
something wrong with the SDP file format?  If you need more information,
such as the caps that are printed out I can attach those to my reply.

Thank you all for any help,
William