Pushing images into a gstreamer pipeline

wally bkg wb666greene at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 15:42:52 PDT 2011

> From: Thiago Sousa Santos <thiago.sousa.santos at collabora.co.uk>
> To: gstreamer-devel at lists.freedesktop.org
> Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 13:14:25 -0300
> Subject: Re: Pushing images into a gstreamer pipeline
> On Tue, 2011-03-15 at 17:05 +0100, Rodrigo Benenson wrote:
> > Hello gst developers !
> >
> > After playing around with some toy applications, exploring the
> > documentation and googling around (including this mailing list
> > archives) I am still puzzled for what I would think is a rather common
> > use case.
> >
> > I have an existing code that generates images (in memory) and I would
> > like to push these images into a gstreamer pipeline (to create a flv
> > video at the end).
> >
> > I could not find an "obvious way to do it". My best guess will be to
> > dig in the source code of GstMultiFileSrc and its parent GstPushSrc,
> > to figure it out.
> >
> > Could any of you point me out to the "obvious way" of doing this ?
> > Is it there any related piece of documentation/tutorial/example on this ?
>
> You want to use 'appsrc':
>
> http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-plugins-base-libs/html/gst-plugins-base-libs-appsrc.html
>
> There should be examples in the source of gst-plugins-base, under
> tests/examples/app/

Using appsrc would indeed work.  IMHO the stumbling block will be figuring
out how to put your image data into the proper format of a GstBuffer with a
"caps" that ffmpegcolorspace can accept.

At this point, poking around the source for the videoscale element is the
best I've found :(

Are there any elements to draw lines, circles, etc. into a GstBuffer to
overlay onto a video frame?