communication between multiple gstreamer pipeline/apps

timothe jahan timothejahan at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 15:02:17 PDT 2011

Dears,
I want to make an application (maybe) based on gstreamer for some video
audio live encoding.
One of my problems is that it will be spread on multiple computers and I
need to pass audio/video streams between them.

I want to be able to launch them sequentially (the source first, then the
next step).
My best candidates to communicate between the different pipeline are
tcpserversink and tcpclientsrc.

Therefore I make a test case :

gst-launch filesrc location=./testfile.ogg ! tcpserversink port=1234

gst-launch tcpclientsrc protocol=none host=127.0.0.1 port=1234 ! oggdemux !
theoradec  ! autovideosink

However here is what I get when I launch the server:
Définition du pipeline à PAUSED...
Le pipeline est en phase de PREROLL...
Le pipeline a terminé la phase PREROLL...
Passage du pipeline à la phase PLAYING...
New clock: GstSystemClock
ERREUR : de l'élément /pipeline0/tcpserversink0 : Internal GStreamer error:
negotiation problem.  Please file a bug at
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GStreamer.
Information de débogage supplémentaire :
gstmultifdsink.c(2506): gst_multi_fd_sink_render ():
/pipeline0/tcpserversink0:
Received first buffer without caps set
Execution ended after 222178 ns.
Définition du pipeline à PAUSED...
Définition du pipeline à READY (prêt)...
Définition du pipeline à NULL...
Libération du pipeline (FREE)...

If I try to do the demuxing and decoding on the server side I have following
commands:
gst-launch filesrc location=./testfile.ogg ! oggdemux ! theoradec !
tcpserversink port=1234

gst-launch tcpclientsrc protocol=none host=127.0.0.1 port=1234 !
autovideosink
Here it does not crash but I do not get any video displayed.

Does anybody has an idea, or any better way to pass streams between
pipelines ?

Many thanks
Timothe