Get v4l2src width and height before pipeline runs?

Stefan Sauer ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Wed Nov 2 09:19:53 PDT 2011

On 11/01/2011 02:48 PM, wally_bkg wrote:
> Kapil Agrawal wrote:
>> Just a thought, may not be realted to this specific issue of yours
>> Writing your own gstreamer plugin to do image processing stuff would make
>> it more cleaner and better.
>>
>> like v4l2src ! ffmpegcolorspace ! your_image_processing_plugin !
>> xvimagesink ?
>>
>> Best
>> - Kapil
>>
> If you go way back in the archives, I debated this initially as appsrc and
> appsink were not part of the gstreamer shipped with Ubuntu 8.04.
>
> The main reason I ended up going with appsrc/appsink is I'm quickly
> approaching retirement and found the process of downloading the template and
> getting the build environment working to build a plugin way too complicated
> and poorly documented to foist upon my replacement.
Have you noticed gst-plugins-bad/tools/gst-element-maker? Also another
way is to e.g. just git clone gst-plugin-bad, create a dir for your
plugin, copy the code for an existing similar enough plugin there and
rename things. In addition, you can also just have a local element in
your application, its just a gobject like any other + one call to
register it to gstreamer.

IMHO thats a lot less trouble than dealing with appsrc and appsink.

Stefan