Dropouts and disconnections on Icecast

Jim Carter jimc at math.ucla.edu
Thu Nov 3 09:42:07 PDT 2011

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011, Nicolas Dufresne wrote:
> Le vendredi 28 octobre 2011 à 22:20 -0700, Jim Carter a écrit :
>> (snip) I'm execing this command line:
>>      gst-launch playbin "uri=$MRL"
>
> I would suggest using playbin2 element instead, I don't pretend this is
> the issue, but it may help.

Thanks for the pointer, and it's worthwhile switching to the new playbin in
any case.  It works nicely but doesn't magically fix the clock speed issue.

On Sat, 29 Oct 2011 13:16:38 -0700, Michael Smith <msmith at xiph.org> wrote:
> ... you could write one ...

You mean I have to actually do some work??? :-)  I think you're right, that
I need to come up with a clocksource different from both the not truly
isochronous source and the inexact sink.

A year or two ago on the PulseAudio list, someone was playing the same
stream on 2 or 3 playback nodes in different rooms (for a party), and when
the beer was all gone they were several seconds out of sync.  I don't
remember if he ever got a resolution; I think not.

What led me to sniff around the resample element was, when unusual CPU load
on the source impairs timely sending of the stream, the playback node will
fall silent briefly, then play "fast forward" to get back on schedule.  So
I thought the resampler was looking at the buffer fullness, but I guess I
was wrong.

James F. Carter          Voice 310 825 2897    FAX 310 206 6673
UCLA-Mathnet;  6115 MSA; 520 Portola Plaza; Los Angeles, CA, USA  90095-1555
Email: jimc at math.ucla.edu    http://www.math.ucla.edu/~jimc (q.v. for PGP key)