Best Settings for X264enc for a Live Stream

William Metcalf wmetcalf at nft-tv.com
Fri Oct 21 13:08:20 PDT 2011

Hello all,

I am using X264enc to encode video  for a live stream.  I am having a
bit of trouble right now trying to get the video to play correctly when
I try to connect players to the stream.  I am a bit lost as to what some
of the settings for the encoder actually mean, could someone please
provide some insight as to which setting are the most important or what
good settings for streaming live video are?

Currently, I am trying to encode the video at a bitrate of 812Kb/s, so I
am setting the "bitrate" property to 812.  I am also setting the
"byte-stream" property to "true".  I have found that my video plays
pretty choppy and is unwatchable unless I set "key-int-max" to "1".  I
have been told that setting this interval to "1" is not a very good idea
though.

Can someone please provide me with more information on these settings?

Thank you,
William