pipeline memory consumption

Marco Ballesio gibrovacco at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 06:08:51 PDT 2011

Hi,

there may be many reasons for the increased memory size, some of which
may even be fully legitimate depending on the system you're using and
what you're playing. Indeed there's always room for bugs ;). Some
questions below to help the community helping you ;).

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 8:22 AM,  <Steffen.Roeber at hella.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'using a filesrc, decodebin2, ffmpegcolorspace, capsfilter and appsink
> pipeline which I use in pull mode. This means I pull the data of the appsink
> in a worker thread.

See here:

http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-plugins-base-libs/html/gst-plugins-base-libs-appsink.html#gst-app-sink-pull-buffer

Are you consuming buffers fast enough? Are you properly unreffing them
when you're done?

> I also set the 'max-size-bytes' property of the  decodebin2 to 1000000 and the
> gst_app_sink_set_max_buffers to 1. Anyhow after starting the pipeline, the
> memory consumption is rised up to more than 1gb, which decreases slowly
> while playing.

How are you measuring the memory allocated by the process? Might it be
that your system has an outrageous quantity of memory and that size is
used for filesystem caching?

> If I delete the pipeline all memory is freed. Who does take this memory?

You could be interested in dumping the pipeline topology on a dot
file: http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gstreamer/html/gstreamer-GstInfo.html#GST-DEBUG-BIN-TO-DOT-FILE:CAPS

and verifying all the queues there are reasonably limited in length
and size. It would also be interesting to know which decoders you're
using and if any custom elements are used.

I hope this will help.

Regards