Prerolling Large Amounts of Data?

edward.david.baker at gmail.com edward.david.baker at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 13:26:20 PDT 2011

Hey all,

I've been playing around with a GStreamer pipeline that focuses on
local file playback using qtdemux, followed by queues, and then
decoders and other elements specific to a platform. Is there a way to
buffer up a large amount of data in the queue elements directly
following qtdemux? For example:
-Preroll 500MB of data from qtdemux into the queues
-Start playing
-Queues then slowly drain out as the file plays.
-After playing a while, queues drop down to "normal/default" sizes
until the video finishes.

I've played around with the settings for queue and queue2 but haven't
come up with something that seems to fit this scenario. When setting
min-threshold-buffers=0 min-threshold-bytes=0 and
min-threshold-time=100seconds for "queue" it stores a lot of data all
the time and doesn't really drain out. Fiddling around with parameters
for queue2 had similar results. For some additional background: I'm
trying to clump all of the demuxer work at the front of the video
playback so that for the rest of the playback all of the necessary
data is already available in the queues. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Ed