problem with configure

Chuck Crisler ccrisler at mutualink.net
Thu Aug 9 10:40:00 PDT 2012

I have been chasing build problems and finally understand the root. I am
running fedora 16 on a 64bit CPU. When I run ./configure... --prefix=/usr,
the sudo make install puts the so's into /usr/lib, which basically isn't
used, fedora uses /usr/lib64 which is where yum installs things, so
subsequent builds that are based on the version I built fail. If I specify
--libdir=XXX, configure adds /lib to whatever I specify, so that doesn't
work. Has anybody addressed this whacky issue?

Thank you,
Chuck Crisler