Implementing a media player using Gstreamer: Mapping the STOPPED state

Mandeep Sandhu mandeepsandhu.chd at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 22:15:28 PST 2012

> Though I'll try this approach again and get back here with my findings.

So here's what happens when I try to use 'uridecodebin' for playing an
MP4 file (I'm ignoring audio decoding to keep things simple for
explaining):

# gst-launch-0.10 uridecodebin uri=file:///videos/video.mp4 name=dec !
ismd_vidsink
Setting pipeline to PAUSED ...
Pipeline is PREROLLING ...
WARNING: from element /GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstURIDecodeBin:dec: No
decoder available for type 'video/x-decoded-ismd'.
ERROR: from element
/GstPipeline:pipeline0/GstURIDecodeBin:dec/GstDecodeBin2:decodebin20:
Your GStreamer installation is missing a plug-in.
no suitable plugins found
ERROR: pipeline doesn't want to preroll.
Setting pipeline to NULL ...
Freeing pipeline ...
#

But if I run gst-inspect on the proprietary plugin - ismd_vidsink, it
shows that the sink pad supports this capability:

# gst-inspect-0.10 ismd_vidsink
Pad Templates:
  SINK template: 'sink'
    Availability: Always
    Capabilities:
      video/x-decoded-ismd
      video/x-raw-yuv
                 format: { NV12 }
                  width: [ 16, 1920 ]
                 height: [ 16, 1088 ]
      video/x-raw-yuv
                 format: { YV12, I420 }
                  width: [ 16, 1920 ]
                 height: [ 16, 1088 ]

#

So whats preventing it from getting picked up by the uridecodebin ? Is
there some sort of 'registration' required for these proprietary
plugins?

Thanks,
-mandeep