GST_QUERY_POSITION on a GstBin

Mohammad Afaneh mafaneh at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 06:41:33 PST 2012

Hi All,

I noticed that when querying the position of a pipeline, GstBin is looking
for the maximum position reported by the elements within that bin. What is
the reasoning behind that?

In a custom pipeline that I have running (with a couple of appsinks and a
video renderer acting as sinks), the appsinks were reporting a position in
response to the query. The correct position was reported by the video
renderer but since it was less than the position reported by the appsinks
it was masked (this was after some trick modes were performed). I guess I
could query the video renderer element directly for its position but I was
just trying to understand the reasoning behind reporting the max position.

Thanks,
Mohammad