XOverlay lost after setting playbin state to Null

Ralph ralph.gucwa at racelogic.co.uk
Fri Jan 13 07:29:09 PST 2012

Ralph wrote

> 1. I have a video file with 5:4 aspect ratio (720x576), but d3dvideosink
> stretches it to 4:3.  It does not stretch the video to fill the available
> space, it deliberately changes the aspect ratio to 4:3 leaving black
> borders on top and bottom.  This is a sample 10-second video file:
> http://ralphos.com/video/test1.avi.

Problem solved!
It was not a bug, it was an important feature!  When I looked at the
properties of my video file using GSpot, I noticed that although the pixel
aspect ratio was 1.25 (5:4), the reported display aspect ratio was 1.364
(15:11).  This means that the video was intended to be stretched and the
information about it was embedded in the video file.  It seems that
d3dvideosink is more clever than I thought and reads the display aspect
ratio from the video file and resizes the image accordingly.

One more good reason for using d3dvideosink :)