building/installing libmpeg2 for the ugly plugins

Nathanael D. Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Mon Jul 9 11:10:41 PDT 2012

On 07/09/2012 10:56 AM, Chuck Crisler wrote:
> Thank you for the help, but I still haven't been able to resolve the
> issues. Using RPMForge I downloaded and installed libmpeg2. The command:
> yum info libmpeg2-0.5.1-2.el5.rf.x86_64 shows that it is installed.
> Also, the so's are in /usr/lib64. Basically the same is also true for
> x264. Yet configure still is not able to find either library. I tried to
> install both the ugly and bad plug-ins from the RPMForge site but they
> both seem to require conflicting versions of libmodplug (libmodplug.so.0
> and libmodplug.so.1), so that wasn't successful either. I have looked
> (many times) at the configure script but can't understand why it
> 'decides' (around line 25921) that these libraries aren't available.
>
> Here is the configure output for mpeg2dec. The output for x264 is
> essentially the same.
>
> configure: *** checking feature: mpeg2dec ***
> configure: *** for plug-ins: mpeg2dec ***
> checking for MPEG2DEC... no
> configure: No package 'libmpeg2' found
> configure: *** These plugins will not be built: mpeg2dec
>
> I did try adding --enable-mpeg2dec=yes and --enable-x264=yes to the
> command line but that didn't make any difference.
>
> All help is greatly appreciated.

Having a library installed for applications to use, and having a
libraries development include headers etc for compiling are two very
different uses. Make sure you have the -devel version of whatever
required software you are compiling against.

Seriously though, if you don't know how to check this stuff you really
aught to spend your time getting the pre-packaged rpms working instead.
I haven't had to do what you are doing to get mpeg2 plugins working in a
very long time. You must have something messed up in the installed
packages on your system.

--
Nathanael d. Noblet
t 403.875.4613