trying to achieve playbin2 gapless transition

Captian Ham matewinslives at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 14 03:57:49 PDT 2012

Hi Tim,

Thanks for that but I don't think that's quite what I'm after. Essentially
I'd like to be able to change files at entirely arbitrary points that are
midway through being played, or are just a static image file, without the
gap that triggers when the next file is loaded.

If I set the playbin to READY, change the URI and go back to PLAYING (which
is far as I know is the best way to change the file source halfway through
play-through?), there's a slight but none the less very noticeable gap where
nothing is playing on the screen. To minimise this, I want to freeze the
last displayed frame of the previous file until the next file is playing.

The best way (it seemed to me) to do this was to lock the video-sink while
changing the URI of the playbin2 until the next file is loaded, but that
appears to quickly (but not consistently) deadlock the playbin2 element. I'm
hoping to clarify why this might be or if this is even the most sensible
solution!

Cheers,
CH