How to link sound-device names to the sound-driver?

Ajay Garg ajaygargnsit at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 23:16:16 PDT 2012

Hi all.

I have actually two questions ::

a)
How can one get the know the sound-device name used by a particular
sound-driver?

For eg., there are multiple entries in "/dev/snd" "virtual" filesystem on
my machine; however, I am not sure as to which device-file is used by which
driver?

I guess, there would be a way to do this via gstreamer-api; however, I am
not sure. Doing it via a shell-script would be awesome

b)
Secondly, (more importantly), how can one "programmatically" find out as to
which sound-device is functional?

I will take an example here ::

When I try "gst-launch filesrc location=/path/to/mp3 ! mad ! pulsesink", I
am able to play the mp3 fine on one machine, but not on another, *even
though doing "pulseaudio --check" on both machines, gives "0" as the exit
status.*

So, in summary, I would like to know as to which all sound-device(s)
is(are) functional, and then accordingly use the
*corresponding*sound-driver(s) in my application.

Will be grateful for a reply.

Thanks and Regards,
Ajay