help to measure bandwidth

Emile Semmes emile.semmes at e6group.com
Sun Jun 3 07:26:25 PDT 2012

Hi Simo,

You can try attaching a data probe to the udpsrc or tcpclientsrc src pad
with gst_pad_add_buffer_probe(). In the callback, you can keep track of
the size of the incoming GstBuffer (GstBuffer->size) which is most
likely the MTU size and get the timestamp using
gst_util_get_timestamp(). With that you should be able to determine the
incoming bandwidth. See
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/manual/html/chapter-dataaccess.html#section-data-probe
for an example on how to add a data probe.

Another option is using an identity element and connecting a callback to
the handoff signal it emits. You can place the identity element anywhere
in your pipeline to determine the bandwidth between two elements.

You might want to make sure it's synchronous so that your timestamps are
valid. It should be but double-check with something like wireshark.

Take care,
Emile

--
Emile Semmes