Gstreamer-VAAPI and Totem

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas.dufresne at collabora.co.uk
Tue Jun 5 09:18:38 PDT 2012

Le mardi 05 juin 2012 à 15:29 +0200, Alessandro Crismani a écrit :
> However, when I open it with Totem, the CPU rockets to sky levels :(
> As far as I understood, Totem should pick the gstreamer playbin2 and
> automagically use VAAPI, however it seems to fail on me. I have tried
> getting debug using:
> -> totem --gst-debug-help
> but I do not see anything VAAPI related (only VDPAU there). How can I
> see if Totem is using any VAAPI based decoding?

The problem is that Totem is using the videobalance element, which is a
pure software element. Using software element prevent using hardware
acceleration like libva or VDPAU.

I suggested a while ago to add color balance interface to clutter-gst,
and change totem code to use that instead, which end up with the
conclusion that clutter should provide effects to implement this
feature. I haven't look at the status of it since.

cheers,
Nicolas