Gstreamer-VAAPI and Totem

Julien Moutte julien at fluendo.com
Wed Jun 6 10:52:16 PDT 2012

Hi,

autocluttersink's role is just to provide a way for different platform
specific sink plugins to be automatically discovered and used to render
video buffers into clutter.

Now that being said, every clutter sink element just has to respect a
common api to draw in the proper actor/texture. The way you handle this
drawing and the fact that it's optimal or suboptimal is just a detail here.

To reply to your question about Fluendo's design choice here, you have to
take in account that we always try to support old versions of GStreamer
because of our customers.

We can't just make our products depend on a very recent API added for
gst-vaapi and tell all our customers using old GStreamer versions to go to
hell.

So I believe this is a good enough design to give freedom to everyone.
There's several clutter sink elements out there and if you can make the
gst-vaapi based on respect the common requirement to be usable with
autocluttersink then it should just work no ?

Best regards,

*Julien MOUTTE*
C.T.O.

FLUENDO Influencing the Multimedia World

San Francisco, USA & Barcelona, SPAIN
Contact phone:
Spain:  +34 933 175 153
United States: +1 415 773 5353