openmax interface to implement or gstreamer plugins?

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Sun Jun 17 02:16:00 PDT 2012

On Sun, 2012-06-17 at 15:07 +0800, hcpwll wrote:

Hi ZiQiangHuan,

quick follow-up on the previous post:

> Implement openmax IL interface is better.

It depends a bit on the skills of your engineers and your future plans
for the platform. It's hard for us to tell you what you will find easier
to implement :)

One the one hand, doing a custom GStreamer plugin is best in many ways.
It gives you the most control and the most flexibility and you can avoid
unnecessary overhead imposed by the requirements of another abstraction
layer such as openmax IL. Depending on your codec API, that might get a
bit tricky though (we don't know your API, so can't really comment). The
openmax IL API might be much closer to your codec API, so you might find
it easier to map. gst-omx will then take care of the iffy bits needed to
make GStreamer handle it nicely.

>     If you are focus on  embedded platform, Your driver team could
> implement the openmax IL and Gstreamer team could extend the
> gst-openmax plugin.(gst-openmax plugin is a little poor).

There's also the newer gst-omx effort, which should be in much better
shape.

Cheers
 -Tim