Ideal pipe for streaming live with minimal delay

garrett weaverg at email.arizona.edu
Mon Mar 12 22:19:19 PDT 2012

Hello, I came across this thread doing research about gstreamer video
streaming. Since this thread hasn't developed a definitive answer concerning
OP's query, it'd like to give it a bump so that it could help others in the
future.

I am trying to do a similar thing. I'm trying to transmit video, using RTP
packets but it's over UDP, not TCP. I am getting a constant latency of about
4 seconds. I'd like to be able to reduce that latency as much as possible.

Is there any way to possibly drop frames in a receiving pipeline so that
only the most recent video is displayed? What follows is my current
gstreamer receiving pipeline.

/gst-launch-0.10 udpsrc multicast-group=224.1.1.1 auto-multicast=true
port=5000 caps=application/x-rtp ! gstrtpjitterbuffer ! rtph264depay !
ffdec_h264 ! xvimagesink sync=false/

If anyone gives me any suggestions: I'd be happy to let you know how they
turn out.