Animated images

Genghis Khan genghiskhan at gmx.ca
Thu Mar 15 07:36:58 PDT 2012

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 11:52:07 +0000
Tim-Philipp Müller <t.i.m at zen.co.uk> wrote:

> > gdkpixbufdec might handle them.
>
> I don't think it does. I wrote a patch to make gdkpixbufdec handle
> animated gifs ages ago, but if I remember correctly I didn't push it
> because all images had to be decoded into memory, which would have
> made it easy to construct files that use ridiculous amounts of memory
> or make the app crash.
>
> Perhaps there's something in gst-ffmpeg that doesn't have this
> problem.
>
> Cheers
>  -Tim

Where can this patch be found at?

For the record, the reason of why I want this feature is because most
of image viewers for *nix that are play animated GIF images can't
handle big images of motion pictures in an efficient manner.

File                        | Frames     | Mplayer | GPicView | Viewnior
scaled_...9cc8a0b33948b.gif |  26 (50ms) | ~15MB    | ~29MB   | ~32MB
9ccf7d4211.gif              | 623 (90ms) | ~14MB    | ~40MB   | ~44MB
waterfall-one.gif           | 215 (30ms) | ~15MB    | ~199MB  | ~204MB

Sources:
https://pod.geraspora.de/posts/248089 491.8 kB (503,592 Bytes)
http://i.lulzimg.com/9ccf7d4211.gif    90.4 kB (92,540 Bytes)
https://social.mathaba.net/posts/652    5.1 MB (5,311,730 Bytes)

May anyone test these images with KDE image viewers?

Gwenview
	http://gwenview.sourceforge.net/
	http://kde.org/applications/graphics/gwenview/

KSquirrel
	http://ksquirrel.sourceforge.net/

KuickShow
	http://kuickshow.sourceforge.net/
	http://userbase.kde.org/KuickShow

For more animated images with an unusual length at:
https://joindiaspora.com/u/darkvador (DIASPORA*)