gstreamer vaapi pipeline not working? (vaapidownload)

Holger Kaelberer hk at getslash.de
Thu Mar 15 12:43:26 PDT 2012

Hi

On 03/14/2012 06:06 AM, David Kosir wrote:

> I want to be able to output video to my window, so for the first step
> I've tried this but without any success
> ---------
> gst-launch-0.10 -v filesource location=/path/to/file.mp4 ! qtdemux !
> vaapidecode ! vaapidownload | fakesink
                              ^^^
Use '!' instead of '|' here.

If you want the decoded video displayed in a specific XWindow use the XOverlay interface, which is
implemented by vaapisink:
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gst-plugins-base-libs/html/gst-plugins-base-libs-gstxoverlay.html

Note, that you don't need vaapidownload for that. vaapidownload does a readback of the decoded data
from GPU to RAM which will slow down your decoding by factor 4 or more compared to a pure
vaapi-based pipeline. You probably want to do that only if you need to post-process after the decoder.

Holger