quicktime player and h264 encoding

mattes effemm at mykmk.com
Fri Mar 16 12:56:49 PDT 2012

>I am encoding live stream with gstreamer using h264 codec
>for playback with Quicktime Player.
>
>It works fine with lower resolution. Though when I encode in larger resolution 720p up, I notice a drop
of >performance on the playback end with QTP. Typically it results in lower playback framerate,
Recording at >1080p @ 30fps, will result in playback frame rate below 20fps.

>Quicktime Player seems to be really picky about the media codec.
>Are there an special option needed/required for 'x264enc' to improve the Quicktime playback expirience?

I did some more testing. As it turns out playing high resolution media in H264 is very
cpu intense. I see the machine running out of steam. On QTP playback the box consumes
100% cpu, which explains drop in framerate performance. The hardware seems to be not fast enough
for QTP.

Surprisingly VLC actually does a much better job on the exact same content and plays back
with full frame rate.

I tried upgrading to the latest QTP 7.7.1 but that did not make a difference.