GStreamer 0.11 status 5

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Thu Mar 22 13:42:03 PDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-03-22 at 16:47 +0100, Wim Taymans wrote:

> I'll be turning this version (+ some fixes likely) into 1.0 very soon
> now (I'm thinking 1 week) and then we can finally celebrate!

Sorry, but I think this timeframe is simply nuts.

0.11 is barely ready for an alpha release IMHO. There is some stuff
that's unfinished, and there hasn't been any serious stabilisation phase
using applications to speak of.

It would be much better to start doing weekly pre-releases or something,
for at least 4-8 weeks. In that time make sure that at least totem,
rhythmbox, cheese, empathy and transmageddon are ported and enabled by
default in GNOME's jhbuild, or at least with real people using it for
real stuff and filing bugs. Then once that kinda mostly works, do 1.0.

 Cheers
  -Tim