Stream FEC-encoded data over simple UDP-protocol?

Bert Douglas bertd at tplogic.com
Tue Mar 27 09:18:53 PDT 2012

FEC is not needed for UDP.    The UDP service delivers a packet, or does
not.
UDP does not randomly flip some bits inside the packet.
To tolerate packet loss, only redundancy is needed.

If you really want FEC, I don't think you will find ready to use libraries.
FEC is used in spacecraft applications.
There is some really good free documentation here.
http://public.ccsds.org/default.aspx
The old stuff is simpler and probably good enough.
There is some free source code available.
http://www.ka9q.net/

Some related topics:
-- Reed Solomon block coding, used in CDroms, to protect against scratches.
-- RAID, used for fault tolerant disk arrays.

Good luck,
Bert Douglas