Good example to show usage of tee

William Manley william.manley at youview.com
Mon Nov 12 08:30:08 PST 2012

On 09/11/12 16:53, Nathanael D. Noblet wrote:
> On 11/09/2012 12:44 AM, Baby Octopus wrote:
>> Thanks for your suggestion. I see gst_launch_parse takes in commandline
>> string and then creates a pipeline based on this, which actually
>> simplifies
>> my task. But all I want to know is, is this the right way to create a
>> pipeline even when you are creating a product of your own, which you will
>> market? Can I create any possible pipeline using gst_parse_launch(or
>> gst-launch) ?
>
> I would expect that you want to manually build the pipes. Often with
> complex pipes you need to attach to signals/events and doing so requires
> knowing the element etc.. which is easier if you instantiated it
> directly than searching through a pipeline for a matching element...

I disagree.  With complex pipes I think parse_launch becomes even more
helpful as it becomes harder to visualise what the pipeline actually
contains, particularly with teeing and muxing, etc.  You can use
gst_bin_get_by_name to easily retrieve the elements.

This has been a curiosity of mine for a while, what is the reason that
the examples don't use parse_launch more often.  For example, Christian
Schaller's recent blog post "GStreamer, Python and videomixing"[1]
"manually" constructs a Gstreamer pipeline over several lines.  This
compares to this parse_launch equivalent:

gst.parse_launch('v4l2src ! video/x-raw,width=320,height=240 !
videoconvert ! textoverlay ! videobox border-alpha=0 top=0 left=-320 !
mixer.'
                  'v4l2src ! video/x-raw,width=320,height=240 !
theoraenc ! rtptheorapay ! rtptheoradepay ! theoradec ! videoconvert !
mixer.'
                  'videomixer name=mixer ! videoconvert ! xvimagesink')

Christian clearly knows far more about gstreamer and has more experience
than I do so I'm left wondering what it is that I've missed that means
that those many lines would be preferable to the above.

Anyone?

[1]:
http://blogs.gnome.org/uraeus/2012/11/08/gstreamer-python-and-videomixing/

This transmission contains information that may be confidential and contain personal views which are not necessarily those of YouView TV Ltd. YouView TV Ltd (Co No:7308805) is a limited liability company registered in England and Wales with its registered address at YouView TV Ltd, 3rd Floor, 10 Lower Thames Street, London, EC3R 6YT. For details see our web site at http://www.youview.com