MPEG4 Aspect Ratio and Colour

Daniel Punch danielp at sentientvision.com
Thu Sep 13 18:29:39 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I'm using GStreamer to convert a sequence of JPEG images into an MPEG4
video, using ffenc_mpeg4. The original images are 768x435, which is not
quite 16:9.

The resultant video looks fine in other media players (MPlayer, Windows
Media, etc.), but if I try and play it back using GStreamer's playbin then
the colours are wrong (a green tint over the image, with a particularly
pronounced green rectangle covering the centre third of the image).

If I use a videoscale element to force the video into a more standard
aspect ratio when I'm encoding it then everything looks fine in playback.

Is this likely to be a bug in GStreamer or something I've done wrong? I'd
prefer not to have to worry about the dimensions of the images that my
application is receiving.

I'm using the latest version of the Windows SDK from http://gstreamer.com

Thank you,
Daniel