RTSP server using v4l2src

yusuf.husainy yusuf.husainy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 04:40:28 PDT 2013

Hello again,

Finally, I have solved the problem,

The delay of 4sec was caused due to the x264enc element, which I was using
in the server pipeline.

I replaced it with ffenc_mpeg4, i.e MPEG4-part2 video codec(h264 is
MPEG4-part10 video codec). I see no(zero) delay at all if I run a gst-launch
pipeline on the client side using rtspsrc.

However, if I stream live on VLC at the client, I do observe a 1-1.5 sec
delay.

The strange part is, it works with VLC (both videotestsrc and v4l2src) if i
open VLC at command line as:
$vlc rtsp://192.168.1.41:8554/test

But if I open the VLC application using dash(ubuntu 12.04), and then select
stream option, after entering the rtsp:// url, it says failed to connect )

Now i want to record this live stream using VLC(in the case where I opened
VLC using command line).

After saving it, if I playback the recorded file using VLC, it does not
play!!!(although VLC was streaming the same file perfectly just a while
ago!!!).

I think VLC does support MPEG4-part2  video codec(as per wikipedia). So why
isin't VLC playing the .mp4 container file during playback????

The server pipeline:
vfl2src device=/dev/video0 ! ffenc_mpeg4 ! rtpmp4vpay name=pay0 pt=96

The client pipeline:
1. VLC media player (streaming using command line).(wasn't able to save as
VLC said failed to open URL...although it was streaming it).
2. gst-launch -v rtspsrc ! rtpmp4vdepay ! ffdec_mpeg4 ! xvimagesink (in this
case I observed 0 sec delay during streaming).
3. gst-launch -v rtspsrc ! rtpmp4vdepay ! ffdec_mpeg4 ! ffmpegcolorspace !
ffenc_mpeg4 ! filesink ! location=Desktop/testing5.mp4 (in this case VLC
failed to playback the .mp4 file).
4. gst-launch -v rtspsrc ! rtpmp4vdepay ! ffdec_mpeg4 ! ffmpegcolorspace !
ffenc_mpeg4 ! mp4mux(I thought this would help) ! filesink !
location=Desktop/testing5.mp4 (in this case also VLC failed to playback the
.mp4 file).

I just want to stream it live, record it as well as playback it using VLC,
or any other media player.

Any help is really appreciated!!!!!

Regards,
Yusuf Husainy.