Bandwidth-Efficient Mode for AMR/AMR-WB

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Wed Dec 11 08:56:00 PST 2013

On Mi, 2013-12-11 at 16:12 +0100, Samer Al Hakim wrote:
> Hello to all members,
>
> Using GStreamer, I would like to create two RTP ends that that are capable of sending and receiving RTP audio streams in AMR/AMR-WB codecs. I already checked and tested the available GStreamer elements (rtpamrpay and rtpamrdepay). They seem fine but I was surprised to find out these elements only support the AMR/AMR-WB codecs in octet-align mode. But for my application I definitely need the mentioned codecs in bandwidth-efficient mode.
>
> The differences between these 2 modes can be found in the respective RFC 3267:
>
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3267.txt
>
> I was wondering if there are other GStreamer elements that support the bandwidth-efficient mode? Or perhaps someone has already some examples or prototype elements?

Hi,

there's (to my knowledge) no (de)payloader available currently that
implements the bandwidth-efficient mode for the AMR codecs. I don't see
a reason why it couldn't be implemented in the existing GStreamer
elements as an optional mode though.

Note however that the bandwidth-efficient mode has some disadvantages as
outlined in the RFC and the bandwidth savings seem rather minimal to me.

--
Sebastian Dröge <sebastian at centricular.com>
Centricular Ltd - http://www.centricular.com