Deal with video/x-raw(memory:VASurface)

adrien_sch adrien.schwartzentruber at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 04:44:07 PST 2013

Hey guys,

I'm exploring the vaapi plugins in 1.2 and I wanted to add few "standard"
element after the vaapidecode or the vaapipostproc element.

For example :
filesrc location=/path/to/file ! demux ! h264parse ! vaapidecode !
vaapipostproc format=2 ! videoconvert ! videomixer ! videoconvert !
xvimagesink

The result of this pipeline is that the negociation failed between
vaapipostproc and videomixer.

One thing that I don't understand, is why the src pad of vaapipostproc is :
video/x-raw(memory:VASurface) format=I420 ? Why this feature doesn't allow
to the videoconvert element to convert the stream ? What can I do to resolve
this ?

I was expecting that format=2 (I420) will result of a "standard" stream,
usable by every "standard" element, as the omx decode element does.

Thx for your help.