Need to set a clock in gstreamer pipeline that are comaprable to PTS values.

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Fri Dec 13 10:42:27 PST 2013

On Sa, 2013-12-07 at 14:05 -0800, Cigarah wrote:
> What is method by which position is calculated. Is it like looking at the
> last buffer sample PTS which was played or a similar scenario.
>
> So position is a possitive value between 0 and the duration. and what if the
> duration is not available. How is position calculated then
>

> I am streaming media over server and hence the duration is not known. Also
> seek is performed so How can the position be maintained in absolute terms.
> Because if I go back/forth in the video position it should correctly capture
> the time setting to same value when played from the same position
>
> How is this maintained ?

You might want to read about how synchronization and time works in
GStreamer in the docs, and/or watch this talk about it from the
GStreamer conference. That should answer most of your questions already.

http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/manual/html/chapter-queryevents.html
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/manual/html/chapter-clocks.html

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gstreamer/tree/docs/design/part-synchronisation.txt

http://gstconf.ubicast.tv/videos/time-and-synchronization-for-dummies-yesyou/

But in general, the position is calculated from what the streaming
protocol, container format or whatever provides as position, or when the
frame was captured for live streams.

Expertise, Straight from the Source