libav changes in 1.2.1

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Tue Dec 24 05:07:55 PST 2013

On Di, 2013-12-24 at 04:06 -0800, RajuB wrote:
> I was stuck with my audio transcode pipeline in 1.2.1 version. When I
> trackback the issue, found that the issue is with audio format in audio
> decoder. libav in 1.0.8 version was giving format as S16LE and now the
> latest version(1.2.1)is giving format=F32LE for the same input!! I couldn't
> find any details about these capability changes in libav release notes. In
> 1.2.1 version most of the audio decoders supports only F32LE format only. Is
> this approach taken to save multiple audio format conversions?? Please can
> anybody help me understand here. Thanks in advance.

It's a change that happened in libav, not in the GStreamer wrapper. They
now output the "native" format instead of doing conversions inside the
decoder code.

You should always have audioconvert and audioresample elements after
decoders and in other strategic places in your pipeline.

Expertise, Straight from the Source