Streaming H264 using RaspberryPi camera to android

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Thu Dec 26 06:11:14 PST 2013

On Di, 2013-12-24 at 10:17 -0800, asafsarid wrote:
> Hi,
> I am working on a project to build a robot using raspberry pi that will send
> video to android device, and will be controlled from it.
> I decided to use the RaspberryPi camera (maybe better usb webcam?).
> And I want it to be in H264 format, but I got problem in getting streaming
> in this kind of format.
> I tried to use gstreamer, so:
> The command I run in the raspberry is:
>

> The command I run in my linux PC is:
>

> So, my question is how can I view the video from android? Or if someone can
> guide me from where to start and give me a direction on how to do it.

Please don't use nabble to write mails to the mailinglist. As you can
see above it does not include some of your text, the most important
part.

However you want to take a look at
https://github.com/thaytan/gst-rpicamsrc

This provides a proper GStreamer element for capturing video from the
RPi camera.

Apart from that what you do there does not make much sense, you send RTP
inside GDP over TCP. Either send RTP directly via UDP or do what is
written here under "RTP over UDP":
https://coaxion.net/blog/2013/12/new-gstreamer-plugins-openni2-3d-sensors-e-g-kinect-rtp-over-tcp-and-openexr-hdr-image-format/

To make this work on plain Android you need to use RTSP though, the
Android playback app does not support raw RTP. For this take a look at
gst-rtsp-server, which is a library to implement an RTSP server. Here
would be a very simple example of how to use it:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-rtsp-server/tree/examples/test-launch.c

Expertise, Straight from the Source