A few issues with gstreamer

Pedro Côrte-Real pedro at pedrocr.net
Sat Dec 28 05:19:03 PST 2013

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 11:34 AM, Sebastian Dröge
<sebastian at centricular.com> wrote:
> First of all an addition to what I told you on IRC yesterday :) For h264
> it's highly suboptimal to use AVI as a container format. Better use
> something like MP4 or Matroska.

Yep, I already moved to matroska.

> That's something you should report to the maintainers of this PPA.

I assumed they were on this list. I'll track down a contact for that.

> It's
> probably easier if you just compile GStreamer yourself (also because of
> gst-rtsp-server), it's very easy and you don't even have to override
> your system GStreamer:
> http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/faq/html/chapter-developing.html#developing-uninstalled-gstreamer
>
> You can install all the build dependencies with apt-get by doing
> apt-get build-dep gstreamer1.0 gst-plugins-{base,good,bad,ugly}1.0

That looks great for development indeed.

> Alternatively update to a more up to date distribution.

The next Ubuntu LTS should already come with 1.2. I usually prefer to
develop on LTS so that I can replicate everything easily on the
servers I want to run this on.

> A release for 1.x is planned in the very near future. Until then you can
> easily build from GIT.
>
> Compared to the 0.10 version there were many API changes and lots of new
> features.

Sounds great.

> Works for me with 1.2.2 and latest GIT master. How did you set up the
> server, what streams is it providing?

The server is just the gst-rtsp-server video example with a video and
audio stream on /test.

> Can you get a debug log for this error? For such generic errors you
> usually find the real reason why it fails in the debug logs a few lines
> above the first occurrence of the error.

Sure, I'll try to first get to a complete 1.2.2 environment to see if
that's the issue.

> Yes, check the autoplug-* signals on uridecodebin. You have full control
> over the autoplugging done inside uridecodebin with this, and e.g. can
> tell it to expose encoded h264 but decode AAC to raw audio. Or anything
> else really :) Check playbin for an example usage of this API.

That's awesome, thanks.

> gst_parse_launch() and related API:
> http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gstreamer/html/gstreamer-GstParse.html

That was it, thanks.