Which plug is needed to play ape format audio files?

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Fri Feb 1 02:50:03 PST 2013

On Fri, 2013-02-01 at 18:34 +0800, Liu bo wrote:

Hi,

> > I think this is because it's trying to play the APE file via http
> > in push mode.
>
> Is it possible to limit gstreamer play APE file via http in pull mode
> instead of push?

It is possible in theory, but it won't work well in practice, not with
GStreamer 0.10 anyway. If you set the "ring-buffer-max-size" property on
playbin2, it will plug a queue2 element between the http source and the
demuxer/parser for certain whitelisted media types. You could add the
APE type(s) to that whitelist, then it might work. *However*, the
problem is that there's an issue with the queue2 and the typefind
element and the ID3/APE tag demuxer, which can lead to deadlocks. This
is fixed in 1.0, but an issue with 0.10.

So in short I don't think it's practical to work around this properly in
0.10, not without fixing the ffmpeg demuxer wrapper to work in push mode
as well.

Cheers
 -Tim