Socket file descriptor leaks with GstBus

Duzy Chan geek at duzy.info
Wed Feb 6 17:12:33 PST 2013

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 6:17 AM, David Schleef <ds at schleef.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 06, 2013 at 06:40:08PM +0800, Duzy Chan wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 6:22 PM, Tim-Philipp Müller <t.i.m at zen.co.uk>
> wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, I did check that out and did look at it, but I'm afraid I don't
> > > really have time to look at all that in detail, hence the request for
> > > something stand-alone and minimal. If it's an issue with pipeline
> > > creation / GstBus / watch usage, it shouldn't be too hard to re-create.
> > >

> > I would like to do a bit effort to make a stand alone minimal test case
> of
> > the GstBus usage, and see if we can duplicate the same issue to help to
> > find out the reason.
> >

> The first thing you should check is that you are properly cleaning
> up all your objects.  If you leak a pipeline, object, or bus, you'll
> end up with multiple copies of intervideosrc around, which will
> use file descriptors.

I hacked a bit into intervideosrc, but it looks like the inter elements are
all memory based, which I think should be in-process available, without
allocating a file descriptor, all memory based utilities: list, buffer,
mutex.

Now I'm thinking that if there're any messages which holding the references
of the pipeline, and when I unref-ed the pipeline, somehow caused
cycling-referencing (my guess). Because in per cycle reset of the pipeline,
I did g_source_remove the watch, gst_object_unref the bus, null and
gst_object_unref the pipeline.

I tried to make my reset function (say gst_worker_reset) none-operation
(which I commented out all, leaving a "result = TRUE"), and the file
descriptor leaks gone.

So I'm guessing it's somehow getting cycling-referencing or I did forgot to
unref something.

I'll spend some time to play around the stand-alone test code to try to
duplicate the execution flow in minimal. And also check further.