Current status of GStreamer on Raspberry Pi

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Thu Feb 7 13:33:34 PST 2013

On Fri, 2013-02-08 at 00:10 +0300, 4ernov wrote:

Hi,

> 1. The most important issue is that there seems to be no way to output
> video in proper rate. That is, although you can decode video fast, you
> can't show it. AFAIK, XVideo extension is unavailable on Xorg server
> on RPi, as well as GLX extensions to use OpenGL ES. ximagesink is
> badly slow. Maybe I missed some variant and someone could suggest a
> solution? eglessink was mentioned here some time before, but I think
> it's still very initial version for now. Would be glad to be mistaken.

I believe people are hacking on eglglessink to make this work. (Last I
heard was that some slow path was working now - I'm sure the people
hacking on it will provide more info).

> 2. gst-omx module looks quite matured but for unknown reason it isn't
> included in any of native GStreamer packages, even -bad and -ugly
> ones. This leads to strange installation procedures (which are quite
> straightforward, however) and incompartibilities (h264 decoder seems
> to conflict with h264parse). Is there any block list of issues which
> stop the module to be included in official packages?

gst-omx is an official module. There are no plans to move this code into
any of the other modules, I don't really see the advantage of doing so.

What incompatibilities are you talking about? How does the decoder
conflict with h264parse? It sounds like you should file a bug.

 Cheers
  -Tim