Gst-Openmax and Raspberry Pi

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Sat Feb 9 03:44:43 PST 2013

On Sat, 2013-02-09 at 03:20 -0800, Siber wrote:

Hi,

> I'm using Raspberry Pi with Wheezy.
>
> As I understood, to enable utilization of GPU for decoding I need to use
> gst-openmax.

gst-openmax is an older and now unmaintained openmax wrapper for
GStreamer. You should not use it any more.

It has been replaced by gst-omx.

> Seems, I managed to install gst-openmax, but it's mentioned in tutorial (
> Gst-Openmax <http://freedesktop.org/wiki/GstOpenMAX>  ) that I need to
> install also Bellagio OpenMAX IL implementation. And here I have troubles.
> I'm trying to install version Bellagio 0.9.1 from here: Bellagio 0.9.1
> <http://sourceforge.net/projects/omxil/files/omxil/Bellagio%200.9.1/>

> So being in directory with Bellagio source, I'm doing following:
> ./configure --prefix="$HOME/omx"
> make
> make install

I don't think you need Bellagio. Bellagio is for when you are working on
a system where the vendor does not provide an openmax implementation
layer (e.g. you're working on a desktop system rather than an embedded
system).

Cheers
 -Tim

> After replacing PIX_FMT_RGBA32 with PIX_FMT_RGB32, it compiles, but when I'm
> trying to register bellagio components with command
> $HOME/omx/bin/omxregister-bellagio -v, I see that video decoder is not
> registered and the following error message appears:
> /home/pi/omx/lib/bellagio/libomxffmpeg.so : undefined symbol:
> avcodec_decode_video
>
> I have libavcodec-dev installed on my RasPi, can somebody explain me, what
> am I doing wrong and how to solve the problem?

Forget about bellagio, it's pointless (and was rather broken last I
checked). If you want to do software decoding, you can just use
gst-ffmpeg/gst-libav directly. However, you probably want to do hardware
decoding using the openmax IL provided on the pi.

Maybe others can chime in with details how they set things up.

Cheers
 -Tim