what is 'collect mode'?

Chuck Crisler ccrisler at mutualink.net
Wed Feb 20 07:55:49 PST 2013

I am trying to understand why my C++ gstreamer app fails to add a second
stream to an mpegtsmux. The function mpegtsmux_collected() is called with a
MpegTsMux * argument. Apparently that mux object doesn't have the first
data member set to true so the stream is not added, causing the immediate
failure (with error 10) when it tries to process the packet. This function
is called because it is a static callback registered via a call to
gst_collect_pads_set_function. That function is part of the GstCollectPads.
The documentation says that manages pads operating in 'collect mode'.
Nothing but circular definitions! Even GNOME says that. What is 'collect
mode'? Is there a written definition anywhere? Then the next question is
where is this function (mpegtsmux_collected) called from and how/why is the
mux parameter (incorrectly) generated?

Thank you,
Chuck Crisler