gst_element_query_position always returning zero

Tim-Philipp Müller t.i.m at zen.co.uk
Wed Feb 20 09:37:18 PST 2013

On Wed, 2013-02-20 at 22:35 +0530, satish pattar wrote:

> So do you still think the mp3 decoder is broken ? please comment.

I think the mp3 decoder does not do everything correctly.

> 2) I didn't quite understand the "it sends a newsegment event in BYTE
> format to the sink, and I think things go
> wrong from there."

I am saying that the audio sink should be receiving a newsegment event
in TIME format, not in BYTES format.

If you plug a parser in front of the decoder, the parser will take care
of that.

If there is only a decoder directly after the filesrc or httpsrc, then
the decoder needs to take care of that.

> 3) dropping sample out of segment time 0:00:00.013061224, start
> 0:00:00.000000000'
> This is coming from gstbaseaudiosink.c: gst_base_audio_sink_render()
> I feel this is the reason as why audio is not heard. am I right ?

Yes, but it might be related to it not having received a segment in TIME
format (this is just a guess, I didn't look too deeply).

> 4) I could not try with mp3parse/mpegaudioparse as these are missing
> in my target & there is one wrapper decoder plugin from freescale
> called beep.imx which will decode all the audio formats.

It should be quite trivial to compile some version of mp3parse or
mpegaudioparse (the plugin used to be in gst-plugins-ugly in older
GStreamer versions, then it moved into the audioparser plugin in
gst-plugins-good).

> Could there be any issues in the player itself or in the source plugin
> which is leading to this issue
> (position always returned to zero and no audio) ?

Everything's possible, but it seems unlikely to me.

I would try with a parser first.

Cheers
 -Tim