One year since last update on 0.10

Andoni Morales ylatuya at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 04:24:40 PST 2013

2013/2/22 Josh Doe <josh at joshdoe.com>:
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 5:51 AM, Sebastian Dröge
> <sebastian.droege at collabora.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Suresh,
>>
>> no new releases for 0.10 are planned because of missing resources to do
>> one and also everybody is focused on 1.x.
>

> Not that anyone seems to care, but the GStreamer SDK is counterproductive to
> this effort of ditching 0.10. Not only has there been no 1.0 release of the
> SDK (though the cerbero recipes exist to do so), but the (excellent)
> tutorials on GStreamer.com are only for 0.10, and even more surprising is
> that there is not even a mention of 1.0 even existing. So newcomers start in
> 0.10, and might even get their projects committed to using 0.10. This is
> especially true of Windows developers, as the SDK is the only easy way to
> get a build.

The project for the GStreamer SDK (call it SDK or packaged pre-built
binaries ready to rumble) probably started in the worst moment of
GStreamer's development, when 0.10 was still under active development
and 1.0 was not even released (it was released 9 months later). So at
that time choosing 0.10 was the best decision and not only because 1.0
would not have been released for the first release of the SDK but also
because the original idea in GStreamer was to maintain both branches
until it became clear that there wasn't enough man power to do so.
If I recall correctly, Fedora is the only mainstream distro with a
public release using gstreamer 1.0 and many companies using GStreamer
are still stuck with 0.10, so everybody is still transitioning to 1.0.
For the SDK we already support 4 platform (Linux, Mac OS X and
Android) and we are working on a new one iOS, so moving to 1.0 will
require some work porting the remaining parts to 1.0 (mostly system
plugins) and test everything on those platforms. It will have to
happen soon, maybe after the iOS support :)
Fortunately, for application developers the transition is rather
smooth since the application interface hasn't changed much and porting
apps from 0.10 to 1.0 is rather easy.
And I'd like to remember that cerbero is completely open source, so
it's probably time for upstream to make their move and start providing
pre-built releases for those platforms were building GStreamer your
self is a big pain in the ass.

Cheers,
Andoni

> -Josh