Playbin with a passthrough sink.

Nox Deleo noxdeleo at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 3 10:24:33 PST 2013

I'm trying to use playbin in an unconventional way at the moment. Because
of its built in functionality, it's ideal for me to use as a source that
spits out raw audio from a continuous playlist without having to reinvent
the wheel with different parts. I'm trying to get a ghost pad on the outer
layer of playbin that I can hook into the rest of my pipeline, rather than
playbin's 'playsink' being the end of the graph.

Looking at a debug graph, it looks like I would have to add ghost pads to
the 'audio-sink' element I specify, all the way up through a GstBin, a
GstPlaySink to the PlayBin itself. This is a pretty ugly hack, and I don't
really like the idea of messing with playbin internals, so I'm wondering if
anyone knows a better way of doing this?

Also, out of interest, is there any reason why I can't link a pad embedded
in several layers of bins to another outside of these? It complains about
'no common ancestor' at the moment, but I'm just curious as to the reason.

Thanks in advance.