gstreamer with cairo plugin

Sebastian Dröge sebastian.droege at collabora.co.uk
Thu Jan 10 12:05:07 PST 2013

On Do, 2013-01-10 at 18:05 +0000, Henry (Yu) Song - SISA wrote:
> Hi, Tim and Wim:
>
> My name is Henry Song.  I am working with Samsung.
> I'vecreated/optimized a new cairo gl compositor that takes advantages
> of driver MSAA capability.  It is much faster than existing cairo gl
> compositor and is production ready.  Currently it is being upstreamed
> to cairo main stream.  I will be the maintainer for this backend.

Hi Henry,

that's great news :) This will be the default for the cairo-gl backend
in the future then?

> I am working with Guillaum Emont and we would like to ask about
> updating thegstreamer cairo backend to take advantage of the new cairo
> GL.  In the process, we would also like to optimize both gstreamer and
> thecairo plugin.  In addition, we are looking into GL/GLES extensions
> that allow easier/faster interaction between gstreamer andother cairo
> applications.

what exactly are you using the cairo plugin for and which parts of it do
you plan to optimize? Note that we recently removed most of the cairo
plugin (everything except cairooverlay) from GStreamer 1.0, because
these elements were basically unmaintained, buggy and there were better
alternatives for most of the elements (in the pango plugin).

What kind of easier/faster interaction between GStreamer and cairo do
you have in mind, what exactly are your use cases?